University Fast Facts
• A royal decree was issued in 1986 to establish the University.
• The University is awarded the Al Hussein Medal for Excellence.
• The late King Hussein bin Talal: Jordan University of Science and Technology is the Jewel of Jordanian universities.
• His Majesty King Abdullah II said about the university that JUST is the best scientific institution in Jordan.
Location, space and buildings
- Geographical location: Irbid governorate, 70 km north of the capital Amman.
- The total area of the university is 11,000 dunums (1 dunum = 1000 m2). The campus maximum width is 7 km and its maximum length is 19 km.
- The university's total building area 303,950 square meters.
- The green area covers 5,000 dunums, of which
- 550 dunums are planted with 532,200 forest trees,
- 2,666 dunums planted with 47,000 fruit trees,
- 550 dunums of gardens and
- 1,232 dunums planted with field crops.
- The University has an artificial lake with a surface area of 40,000 square meters, with a capacity of 137,000 cubic meters.
- The university has a winter-filled dirt dam from the surrounding with a capacity of 170,000 cubic meters.
- There is a 5 MW solar PV power plant on campus, and there is a plan to build additional 20 MW plant.
- The university hospital has a floor area of 110,300-square-meter, with 588 beds, in addition to a 2,000-square-meter radiology building.
- 1,006 faculty members; 28.6% .of them are female.
- 1282 administrative and technical staff
- 781 workers and service workers
- Ratio of faculty-to-admin staff is 1:1.27
- By graduation country, faculty members are divided as follows: 50% of the faculty are graduates of the United States of America, 20% of graduates from Europe and the UK, 7% from Canada, 4% from Australia and New Zealand and 17.5% from Jordan.
Faculties, programs and students
- The University comprises of 12 faculties; one institute, 61 academic departments, 45 bachelor's programs, 98 master's programs and two Ph.D. programs.
- Total number of graduates: 77,462; 12,534 are non-Jordanians.
- Current number of students:
- 25,094 undergraduate students.
- 2,020 master's degree students.
- 3,664 students of non-Jordanian nationality (51 different nationalities) representing 14% of the total number of students.
• The total floor area of the central library is 12,500 square meters.
• The library accommodates 2,500 visitors at the same time.
• Self-lending and return service is available through RFID technology and a 24-hour automated return window. This technology also provides arrangement, weeding and automated inventory of books through DLA devices.
• The library contains 195,000 books, 50,000 volumes, 433,000 e-books, 58 databases with 103,000 e-journals.
- The university won first place according to the Jordanian classification of universities
- THE Rank, In World University Rankings 2022: 401-500
- THE Rank, in Asia University Rankings 2022: 68
- THE Rank, in Young Universities Ranking 2022: 90
- THE Rank, in Emerging Economies 2022: 84
- THE Rank, In Arab World University Rankings 2022: 24
- QS Ranking 2022: 801-1000 in the world
- US News & World Report Ranking for Best Global Universities 2022: 506
- US News & World Report Ranking for Best Global Universities in Asia 2022: 96
The university's budget for 2019 is around JD 102 million (US$150 million).
• The University allocates 5% of its budget to scientific research in addition to supporting external research (external, external and global), where the total scientific research budget for 2020 is estimated at (8) million dinars.
• Number of published papers since the founding of the university is 11154 to Scopus.
• The University ranks first in terms of the scale of publications quoted by the SciVal World Ranking, with more than 47,000 Citations in the last five years.
• Faculty of Engineering: ABET accredited
• Faculty of Medicine: Avicenna, JCI, WFME, RCP
• Faculty of Dentistry: RCSI Accredited
• Faculty of Pharmacy: ACPE accreditation
• Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences: ASIC Accredited
• Faculty of Veterinary Medicine: EAEVE certified
• Faculty of Nursing: ACEN, WHO, CIDA
• Department of Computer Engineering: ABET accredited.
• Software Engineering Department: Accredited by the Institute of Engg. and Tech. (IET).
• Department of Life Sciences and Genetic Engineering: ASIIN Accredited
• ISO 9001-2015 Quality Certificate.